Friday, August 5, 2022

I am valuable, worthy, and rare


“Being weird is when you
love yourself enough to
liberate yourself from
the burden of trying
to be normal. It is also
when you are smart enough
to know that there is
no such thing as normal.

Know that you are valuable.
Know that you are worthy.
Know that you are rare.
How could anyone be
better than you if
you are the only you?”
-Cleo Wade

I wish I had found this poem 10 years ago at the start of my recovery journey. Being labeled an alcoholic has made me feel like the ultimate weirdo, like I don’t belong in my family or in society.

This poem helps reframe my so-called weirdness as a valuable, worthy, and rare superpower. My experiences with addiction and sobriety have given me the opportunity to view the world through my own uniquely special lense. My liberation comes from knowing that I no longer need to fit into this sick society. Sobriety allows me to take pride in my weirdness, and as a result, develop my own sparkly and fabulous definition of normal.

I am valuable.
I am worthy.
I am rare.
If I am the only me,
how could anyone be better?


No comments:

Post a Comment