Monday, February 11, 2013

"Fat Poem"


Please take the time to watch this video. You won't regret it.

A good friend of mine posted this video yesterday and I knew instantly it needed to be shared. As I watched with tear soaked cheeks, it brought back way too many memories of days I spent purging on the bathroom floor. 

Earlier this month, I did a post about Eating Disorder Awareness Month; the video goes into a little detail about the dangers of eating disorders, but I thought it would be a good idea to elaborate to keep with the awareness trend. Also, because the "Fat Poem" video is so powerful, I wanted to keep the focus on that and keep this post simple. 

Here is a list of the dangers associated with eating disorders:

Malnutrition
Dehydration
Electrolyte Imbalances
Heart Disease
Bone Loss
Muscle Weakness
Hair Loss
Dry Skin
Brittle Nails
Intestinal Damage
Enamel Erosion
Loss of Menstrual Cycle
Infertility
Headaches
Brain Damage
Decreased Blood Pressure
Decrease Heart Rate
Thyroid Damage
Lanugo
Constipation
Mild Anemia
Reduced Muscle Mass
Lightheadedness
Depression 
Anxiety
OCD Tendencies
Slowed Reaction Time
Irritability
Isolation
Preoccupied Thoughts
Mood Swings
Fatigue
Insomnia
Inflamed Esophagus
Swollen Cheeks
Edema
Kidney Infection & Failure
Osteoporosis
Easily Bruised Skin
Cramps
Bloating
Peptic Ulcers
Pancreatitis
Seizures
Death

Phew. Sadly, I know I missed quite a few. 

For the first time in a decade, I am taking part in Eating Disorder Awareness Month on the other side; the recovery side. Just like I teared up as I watched that video, I am now tearing up as I realize how much time I wasted putting myself in danger of every single one of these health risks. Eating disorders are scary and often times feel hopeless, but I am firm believer that if I can overcome my addictions, all of you can, too. 

Just like the "Fat Poem" video says, freedom is possible.  

Progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment