Sunday, May 19, 2013

Bridge to Recovery Walk 2013


#PowerfulBeyondMeasure




I can feel myself starting to get emotional before I even finish this sentence.

Yesterday was the annual Bridge to Recovery Walk at my old treatment center. It is an event held to raise eating disorder awareness and support loved ones in recovery. For the past couple of months I have actually been debating whether or not it was a good idea for me to even go. Honestly, being back in that environment is pretty nerve racking and after working so hard to separate myself from the safe environment treatment provided me, I wasn't sure if it was worth making the trip.

At the last minute I decided to invite my best friend, Kaila, for moral support and we made the trip down together. As we drove into the town where my old treatment center is located, I began to realize how strange it was to have an outsider enter that part of my world. The other patients are the only people who truly understand the memories associated with driving down Monroe Street in Sylvania, Ohio. Besides my parents, no one else in my life has made that trip with me; however, I could not have done it without her.

As Kaila and I made our way to the event, my anticipatory anxiety started to get the best of me. All of my fears were erased, however, once I saw the smiling faces of those amazing people who got me through the toughest summer of my life.

The event started with a one mile walk, followed by a raffle drawing, a scale smashing, and finally a cookout. Not only did my anxieties disappear, but I felt an incredible boost of positivity. For the first time being back in that environment didn't bring talk of calories and weight gain. We were simply there to enjoy each others company, reflect on how far we have come, and celebrate everyone's success. I was reminded of what a strong and courageous group of women I was surrounded by last summer. These women understand me on a level that no one else can and I truly believe they saved my life.

One of the former patients spoke and said, "This event is a better booster than any two or three week stay at the treatment center," and I could not agree more. (If a patient begins to slip a little they are often sent back to treatment for a two or three week booster to help them get back on track.) Sometimes the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives can get in the way of the self care and the hard work involved in recovery, but being in the presence of such wonderful people can quickly change that.

Scale Smashing!! :)
 

Today I am still on a high from the Bridge to Recovery Walk 2013. That was one of the best days I have had in a long, long time. Not only was my recovery motivation renewed, but more importantly, I got the spend time with some pretty incredible people. It's hard to imagine where my life would be without the River Centre Clinic.

"Powerful Beyond Measure" was the theme of the walk this year and that is exactly how I feel after attending.

Progress.

10 comments:

  1. I am floored by this event. What an amazing opportunity and thing they put on. I can so relate to that anxiety walking in but all I see are smiling faces and worries that melted away. I am so happy you went!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! I'm obviously so so so glad I went, too! :)

      Delete
  2. Love all the pics. :) It's an amazing event, and I think the scale smashing is so cool. This is the first year I didn't go - nobody from my treatment round that I was close to was going, and my anxiety at having to walk/sit alone was too much I guess. Anyway, I'm glad you were able to go and that it was a positive experience. :)

    P.S. Was Brithany P there by any chance? She was my therapist both in PHP and outpatient and I'm still kind of in shock after learning what happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally relate to that anxiety surrounding the event. I was in the same boat, so no worries. Brithany was not there. We were all in shock after we heard the news, too. :-/

      Delete
  3. So so beautiful! Everybody looks so happy and beautiful. I am so happy to see how beautiful recovery is. Very motivating and encouraging. I feel a bit slipping for myself, and really enjoyed reading this post. Thank you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're very welcome. I hope you have a better day today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a motivational post. If this is what recovery looks like... i am SO looking forwards to it! What great pics - a group of happy, healthy KICKASS girls. im so glad you went (and well done for showing that scale who's boss!)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Clem! The scale smashing was pretty awesome ;-) xoxo

      Delete
  6. So glad that you were there!! It was such a great event! So inspiring and uplifting, and just great people spending time together to support a great cause and being able to see how far we have all come. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so nice to finally "meet" you, Carly!! It really is a great event and I'm still smiling two days later. Have a great week! :)

      Delete